Hockey Drills for Winning Success
This site is dedicated to those who want to be better hockey players or goalies. Each month we update this section to feature drill(s) for hockey players and goalies. We welcome your feedback on how they work for you.
Drill of the Month -- for Goalies
- A sets up down low,
- A passes across the front of the net to player B.
- B shoots the one-timer.
Drill of the Month -- for Players
- A drives wide, receives pass from C, cuts across the slot and attacks the net.
- A passes to B cutting to the middle and then swings to the left wing.
- B carries the puck over the blue line, leaves a drop pass and swings to the right side .
- C cuts to the middle, picks up the drop pass and shoots.
If you want to get started with a lot of drills, we recommend the following books as excellent resources.
- Hockey Drill Book - by a coach, for coaches. 200 drills including a chapter specifically for goalies, plus sample practice plans. I find this to be a great resource when looking for a drill for a specific skill you want to improve.
- The Hockey Play Book: Teaching hockey systems -- Another great resource for coaches. This great book shows you how to capitalize on your team's strengths and develop a system that works.
- Training for Speed, Agility, and Quickness -- This is an excellent reference for off-ice agility drills. It doesn't have hockey-specific drills, as it does other sports, but if you do any of the drills that mimic your on-ice skating, it will definitely help. It did for me!
I personally prefer Hockey Drill Book because it's a no-nonsense handbook with just diagrams and explanations, but they are all good.